2.10.15 Tuesday Workout//Write your own workouts!
Alright ya'll. We're about to slow it way down today for some sweet sweet technique time with the barbell.// Touch and Go (tng) power cleans x 4- 8ish sets... or until Devin or MacLarin get tired of watching your power cleans:) Technique > Load
30 Deadlifts (115/75)
10 OTB Burpees
10 OTB Burpees
10 OTB Burpees
Oh just 115 for men and 75 the ladies? Can't to be too bad right? riiiiight....
So recently an old friend contacted me and had some questions on ramping up his fitness. My first reaction was like, "duhh man, find a CrossFit gym." and then I remembered that he lives in Prosser and Prosser is dumb (Ellensburg Reference). Not just because Prosser doesn't have a CrossFit, but Prosser is just dumb, and since I like my friend despite him living in Prosser, I thought I'd write this post for him and all my other friends who are training alone or at a globo gym--also alone.
HOW TO WRITE YOUR OWN WORKOUTS
A. THE MOVEMENTS (you can learn any movement from youtube! and don't hate, if you're not into paying someone to teach you the proper way to squat, pull, or press, you gotta work with what you got! and besides humans should do these things anyway. if you hurt yourself doing the most basic of human movement, it's not the movements fault, you were already broken, neglected, or both!) // Squats- air squat, overhead squat, front squat, back squat, gobblet squat. You can use weight, but the AirSquat is just great for your at-home fitness! similar to a squat, you can lunge, and like the squat, do them weighted or unweighted. When squatting and Lunging, go all the way down, sink your hip crease below your knees in the squat, touch your back knee to the ground in the lunge.
Pulls- Deadlift, pullup, rows,// pick stuff up off the floor.
Presses- Push up, overhead press, bench press of any type or angle.// Push stuff around.
B. THE MODE// as a young athlete, all of my weightlifting knowledge came from High School weights class. Naturally from that I thought that all fitness fits perfectly into 3 sets of 10 of whatever the heck you're doing. 3x10 bench, 3x10 squat, 3x10 lat pull down...My mentor coach has since seen the light! Truth is though, humans were moving efficiently long long before gyms obviously, but also way before the concept of exercise, and even before the idea of numbers. Your coach or trainer can explain their reasoning behind certain rep schemes, and they do program for very specific stimuli, but you don't have to live in that 3x10 world. BREAK FREE!
1. Simply choose some movements, 1-2-3-7? Whatever// example// Pull ups, push ups, air squats
2. Choose one of the following Modes// Time based// 20 minutes of As many reps as possible of 5 pull-ups, 10 push ups, 15 air squats. Don't like those numbers? Do whatever you want// 4 Pullups, 8 Push Ups 15 Air squats.
Task Based// As fast as possible, 4 pull ups, 8 push ups, 11 air squats- 10 times. or 40 pullups, 60 push ups, 110 air squats- once for time.
Be Creative// That is the simplest way I can describe it!
BUT, not everyone thinks they can afford CrossFit//another blog post for another time, which may never happen// so they choose to work out in a Trad Gym because they live in stupid Prosser. Here are some of my fav globo gym hacks and tips.
1. Cardio Equipment// It's a little known fact that these can be used for short intense effective sprinting workouts. Nowhere in the user manual does it say, plug in your headphones, open an old copy of Sunset Mag, your workout is over when Judge Judy is over. Sprint on treadmills, sprint on stationary bikes, sprint on the elliptical, sprint on the rower, sprint on the stair master. example 15 minutes of sprint 20 seconds, 25 air squats, 10 Push ups- as many rounds as possible. only takes 15 minutes and it's infinitely more beneficial to your fitness than 50 minutes of judge Judy or the Food Channel. Please shoot me now.
2. Leg Stuff doesn't replace squatting// in terms of muscle groups and body parts, these two workouts are the same. Workout A. Cable leg extensions 3x10, cable leg curls 3x10, leg press 3x10, 3x20 glute bridges, 100 crunches. or you could do Workout B. Front squat 5x5. Workout B. is a movement, that works all the same muscles as workout A., but workout B will make you a better human.
3. Drop your ego. If you feel like you might look foolish hopping on and off the treadmill to do air squats, or doing lunges in between your sets of dumbbell bench press, understand that in a globo gym setting, nobody knows what they're doing anymore than anyone else. Even the local hero who seems to have it all together is looking for something to liven up their workouts.
Love Ya'll, keep moving, give it a try! Let me know your thoughts in the comments on Facebook!